- People Moves
- August 7, 2018
Cresset adds eight highly experienced leaders to build Cresset Family Office
Industry veterans join Michael Cole and Kevin Long to build Cresset Capital’s multi-family office
CHICAGO – August 7, 2018 — Cresset Family Office has announced the addition of eight industry veterans to join Michael A. Cole, CEO, and Kevin S. Long, senior managing director, in building an industry-leading multi-family office. Cresset Capital Management, founded by private equity entrepreneurs Eric Becker and Avy Stein, announced plans to launch Cresset Family Office in June to build upon the independent wealth management platform provided by Cresset Wealth Advisors.
“We are privileged to add eight very experienced leaders in the family office community to Cresset Family Office,” Becker said. “During their careers, they have worked with very successful families and multi-family offices in the country, and now will build the next-generation multi-family office on our independent, employee- and client-owned platform.”
The new additions to the Cresset Family Office team are:
- Scott Winget, JD, CPA – senior managing director for family enterprise consulting, formerly senior vice president and senior managing director for wealth sustainability with Ascent Private Capital Management of U.S. Bank. Winget is highly experienced in leading cross-disciplinary teams, from attorneys to psychologists, to provide ultra-high-net-worth clients with expertise in family governance and legacy, wealth planning and CFO services. In his role at Cresset, Winget will lead the buildout of the family enterprise consulting model offering accounting, planning and family governance services.
- Melissa Donohue, Ed.D. – senior managing director for family wealth education and leadership development, formerly senior wealth education specialist with Morgan Stanley Wealth Management. Dr. Donohue is a financial education expert with extensive experience in curriculum design, research and teaching. She is the founder of Financial Nutrition, a nonprofit with a focus on women’s and girls’ economic empowerment. Dr. Donohue is the award-winning author of the book “Financial Nutrition for Young Women”. She has a master’s degree from Columbia University and a doctoral degree in education from the University of Massachusetts. Dr. Donohue will be leading financial education and family leadership initiatives for Cresset Family Office’s clients.
- Mark Foster – senior managing director for banking and credit consulting; formerly senior managing director, head of private banking with Ascent Private Capital Management of U.S. Bank. Foster brings 30 years of banking and credit experience, most recently with Ascent where he led the creation and management of its private banking business. Foster will develop Cresset’s credit and banking advisory services, and as Cresset’s chief credit officer, will help clients get the most sophisticated and cost-efficient solutions from their banking relationships.
- Jan Farren – senior managing director of marketing, communication, learning and development; formerly senior vice president and senior managing director of marketing and professional development with Ascent Private Capital Management of U.S. Bank. Farren brings two decades of experience in the wealth management industry with expertise in brand creation and success in developing and leading high-performing client-experience teams. Farren will lead the marketing, communications, and learning and professional development efforts for Cresset Family Office.
- Will Amerine, MBA – managing director of strategic partnerships, formerly managing director of strategic relationships at Ascent Private Capital Management of U.S. Bank. Amerine served as the head of business development nationally for Ascent working with multi-generational families of wealth. At Cresset Family Office, Amerine will lead relationship development for the Rocky Mountain Region, working to identify families and build relationships with key business partners.
- Martim De Arantes Oliveira – regional managing director, northern California; formerly regional managing director and senior vice president with Ascent Private Capital Management of U.S. Bank. Oliveira’s wealth management career spans more than 20 years, all of which have been dedicated to working with families managing multi-generational wealth. At Cresset Family Office he will lead a team of experts in all key areas of wealth management, leveraging state of the art technology and resources.
- Sisi Tran, J.D., LLM – managing director, wealth strategist, northern California; formerly senior vice president, managing director, wealth strategy with Ascent Private Capital Management of U.S. Bank. Tran has a law degree and a master’s in tax from the University of Miami School of Law. She has served as senior advisor and subject matter expert in trust, estate, and wealth transfer tax planning. Tran will be developing and leading Cresset Family Office’s multigenerational wealth transfer tax strategies, business succession and family governance, family wealth education, communication, stewardship, philanthropic planning and risk management.
- Tom Crotty, CPA – managing director, family office advisory, northern California; formerly managing director, CFO services with Ascent Private Capital Management of U.S. Bank. Crotty has more than 40 years of experience working on behalf of families and their privately held businesses, either in an executive role or as a consultant. Most recently, he worked directly with families to support their budgeting, accounting, cash flow management and portfolio information needs. At Cresset Family Office, Crotty will serve as the controller and CFO for clients, and will consult with family offices.
“We are excited to work with these accomplished leaders to support Cresset’s vision to provide our clients with the comprehensive, highly personalized approach to wealth management that they deserve,” Stein said. “Because of the strong leadership and talent we now have in place, we are ahead of our strategic business plan for Cresset Family Office and have the opportunity to provide an unprecedented level of service.”
Cole added, “It is a privilege to be partnering with this team to build a truly differentiated multi-family office. Cresset provides the optimal setting for the future of family office services, which is very compelling in attracting highly experienced talent in the industry.”
Cresset Family Office will provide a new paradigm in serving clients in a comprehensive and cost-effective way, including:
- Family enterprise administration, operational support and consulting, including business succession planning and transition management
- Net worth management, administration and comprehensive reporting
- Estate and tax planning
- Family philanthropy and impact investing
- Strategic investment monitoring and thematic investing
- Credit and banking oversight and consulting
- Comprehensive risk assessment and management
- Document organization, archiving and secure storage
- Strategic family office services including:
- Family values identification and alignment, vision and mission development
- Family communication planning and implementation
- Family education and leadership development
- Family governance and role clarification
- Family and business history exploration and documentation
“The team being built by Cresset Family Office truly represents the best of the best in the industry. Their talent, experience and innovative mindset will serve Cresset’s clients extremely well,” said Thomas R. Livergood, founder & CEO of The Family Wealth Alliance.
Founded last year, Cresset’s suite of offerings also includes Cresset Wealth Advisors. Led by industry veteran Doug Regan, Cresset Wealth Advisors combines wealth management services with direct access to private investments and surpassed $2 billion in assets under management in its first year of operation.
Private equity entrepreneurs Eric Becker and Avy Stein founded Cresset Capital Management with a vision to reinvent wealth management and with a firm belief that clients deserve better. Within the Cresset affiliates’ suite of offerings, Cresset Wealth Advisors, an SEC registered investment advisor, provides individuals and families with access to deeply personalized, comprehensive wealth management services. Cresset Partners, its private investing arm, offers clients direct, often exclusive access to real estate, private equity and secondaries deals. Most recently, Cresset announced plans to launch Cresset Family Office, offering access to an industry-leading, multi-family office for clients whose business is managing their wealth.